[distcc] Corrupted object files when using ccache + distcc

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sat Sep 13 08:18:32 GMT 2003

On Sat 2003-09-13, David Baird wrote:

> In short, I don't think this problem is exclusively with Redhat
> systems.

That is correct.

> I am having the same problem:
>
> Using gentoo, on kernel 2.4.22 with aa patches, nfs root (meaning my
> ccache is also on nfs), distcc and ccache are in my FEATURES variable.
>
> I get corrupted .o and .la (if I remember right) and some other
> corrupt files with the a message like:
>
> synthdata.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>
> Putting the file through hexdump shows all zeros:
>
> 0000000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
> *
> 001af40 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
> 001af4c

Yes, this is the same problem.  We discovered the answer: you must set
the no_subtree_check export option on your NFS server.  This is a good
idea anyhow for NFS roots.  ccache is not the only program that can be
affected.  See the links in

 http://distcc.samba.org/problems.html#nfs-problem

-- mbp