[distcc] distcc over slow net links

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Aug 25 09:39:58 GMT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Timothee Besset wrote:

> I'll need a little time before I can give you some numbers. I've only
> setup distccd on one of the remote machines, and disabled it after I saw
> that issue on small builds. I'll go over that stuff to get some numbers
> again.
>
> My general idea was to run the compile on a closer faster machine, and to
> use whichever build is fully done first (compile and transfer). We use two
> compile slots instead of one, that's an opportunity cost. But since I'm
> the only Linux guy in the company, I have those machines for myself
> anyway. They have been nagging me about IncrediBuild on win32 for some
> time .. I have more CPU power I think .. but gcc is way slower than VC7 ..
> so I'm still loosing :-).

The way I thought Timothee meant it, was like this:

	Whenever a host has finished processing jobs and distcc (make) is
	out of jobs but still waiting for results on some jobs. It could
	resend the (already preprocessed) jobs to any idle machines and
	use the result from the fastest machines that can deliver it. (and
	finish the other ones)

Of course this means that the distcc instances have to have some shared
knowledge about what jobs are still ongoing and access to preprocessed
output.

But I like the idea, especially in environments where some of the servers
in your cluster are sometimes used for heavy duty. If you're waiting, you
might as well bet on another horse (especially when it is at no extra
cost)