[distcc] gcc bootstraps with distcc

Neil Booth neil at daikokuya.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 13:38:16 GMT 2003

Alexandre Oliva wrote:-

[snip]

So it seems that it moves the expansion of a macro down to its last
line.  Is that the effect?  Why is this

      || (parsing_args && pfile->context && pfile->context->prev))

necessary?

> >> I've no idea.  How do I tell?
>
> > I know that changes in this area have before.  Maybe check through
> > past PRs and mails to the mailing lists?
>
> Bug 5289 is not changed at all.  The patch lets line breaks through
> that were present in macro arguments, not in the macro definition or
> parameter list, since these never make it to the token stream anyway,
> (macros never contain line breaks after backslash-linebreak
> processing) and, even if they did, they wouldn't be in the primary
> context.  This patch enables the cppout's notion of current line

Right, so a Fortran user now can get line breaks that he couldn't
before, which can lead to syntax errors that didn't exist before.

Am I right that escaped newlines and multi-line comments still
cause problems for what you're trying to do?

Neil.