[distcc] distcc monitors

Lisa M. lisa at thedoh.com
Tue Jul 29 02:10:02 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 09:55, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> Now, how about a little brainstorming on this list about what a distcc monitor
> should display? I was thinking, maybe a hit ratio or so would be interesting
> (percentages how much of a project was built on each of the boxes), so that
> one can possibly optimize the DISTCC_HOSTS line (hosts mentioned earlier are
> preferred) or such

There's two things that could be monitored.  First is the daemon running
on `this' computer and the client that is sending processes across the
network.

Some things I'd like to see for the daemon:
1) Uptime
2) Configuration (port, lzo compression? ssh enabled? etc)
3) Number of jobs done (and a spread of the types of errors reported)
4) Average throughput
5) Current compiling tasks (pid, Src, filesize, filename, time recv'd)

For the client (ie, distccmon-gnome replacement):
On a per job basis
For SEND and RECEIVE state:
1) Current throughput
2) Type of connection (ssh? port? lzo?)
3) pid
4) filename
For (remote) COMPILE state:
1) The actual pre-processed filename
2) Type of connection (ssh? port? lzo?)
3) pid
For (local) LINKING state:
1) The actual pre-processed filename
2) pid
3) Where the object code was compiled
4) The post-linked filenamed (gcc ... -o [display this])
For (local) PREPROCESS state:
1) filename
2) pid

A tall order to be sure, and it'd suck to do the GUI... but you asked.
:)

I think the "hit ratio" should be a part of the daemon in the form of
load balancing.  Just think, you could be the first person on your block
with a chatty distcc daemon cluster! :-)

--
Regards,
-Lisa