[distcc] Re: distcc 2.9 released

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jul 28 03:59:23 GMT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Martin Pool wrote:

> Therefore it's prudent to *assume* that RH compilers might be
> different from their upstream version, and label them differently.

Well, Red Hat/Cygnus has a tight relation to GCC development and that's
not always bad. IMO the GCC 2.96 release was not a bad decision, but was
poorly communicated both internally and externally (ie. also a bad naming
issue).

Anyway, since the compilers take little diskspace I don't consider it
worth taking the risk of not supplying them seperately, I'd personally
rather have them tagged 'redhat'.

However if the document is meant to teach people not to differentiate
compilers (that by version should act the same) Ben is right. And my point
wasn't actually about the redhat part, rather the rest of the format. (As
the old document suggested a multitude of formats)

Kind regards,