[distcc] distcc monitors

Frerich Raabe frerich.raabe at gmx.de
Sun Jul 27 13:55:22 GMT 2003

Moin,

on this rather slow sunday I was pondering writing a KDE-based monitor for
distcc, but then I realized that I'm not quite sure what such a monitor
should display.

IMHO a graphical monitor should add a real additional value, maybe by drawing
graphs or such, it should not simply be a X version of the textmode monitor.
I looked at the GtK monitor but I must say I'm not terribly impressed by it,
as far as I can tell it displays exactly the same information as the textmode
client. The only difference is that I get sortable columns in the table, and
I don't have to start an xterm to start the monitor.

Now, how about a little brainstorming on this list about what a distcc monitor
should display? I was thinking, maybe a hit ratio or so would be interesting
(percentages how much of a project was built on each of the boxes), so that
one can possibly optimize the DISTCC_HOSTS line (hosts mentioned earlier are
preferred) or such.

- Frerich