[distcc] Re: distcc 2.9 released

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jul 24 16:51:09 GMT 2003

On 23 Jul 2003, Ben Elliston wrote:

> Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> writes:
>
> > > I've made some new packages for distcc 2.9 and reviewed the
> > > README.packaging. The last paragraph also refers to renaming the different
> > > compilers and I was wondering if you could at least mention the naming
> > > policy we discussed before, eg:
>
> > > 	i386-redhat-linux-cc-2.96
> > > 	i386-redhat-linux-cc-3.2
> > > 	i386-redhat-linux-cc-3.2.2
>
> It's wrong to put "redhat" in the MANUFACTURER field of a triplet.
> For Linux systems, permissible values are: axis, ibm, pc and unknown.

Actually I took that scheme because the gcc RPM from Red Hat uses the
following path:

	/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2/cc1

I personally think the 'redhat' is very important there. unknown would
clash with other compilers from other distros.

I don't know what specification you're referring to, but should distcc's
scheme have to follow that specification ?