[distcc] Enabling lzo compression?

Dara Hazeghi dhazeghi at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 02:14:14 GMT 2003

--- Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
> On 19 Jul 2003, Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to do some measurements of current distcc
> > performance with and without lzo compression.
> > Unfortunately I haven't been able to find what
> > flag/option does this. Any hints? Thanks,
>
>   DISTCC_HOSTS='localhost otherhost,lzo'
>
> Mentioned in NEWS, and will be in the manual.

Ah, thanks. Guess I should look harder next time.

I did a little testing building gcc's cc1 with

DISTCC_HOSTS="draco/3 penguin/1 cygnus/1

where draco = 2x733MHZ P-III, penguin = 333MHZ P-II
and cygnus (localhost) = 667MHZ ppc. Machines were
connected via 10baseT.

I'm guessing that with more machines lzo would make a
bigger difference. I was most surprise that the
performance hit of ssh was so little.

make CC=gcc -j1
real    10m18.664s
user    8m11.180s