[distcc] gcc bootstraps with distcc

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Fri Jul 11 19:09:42 GMT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 11:48 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Thank you for the clear explanation.  The conclusion I draw from it is
> that we should turn this mode on when and only when it affects the
> output of the compiler.

Yes.  This is a fine optimization.  I'd prefer not to block the current
work for it.

> Would you, Martin, be willing to do some research and figure out under
> exactly what conditions this makes a difference?

No need, I've done it.  grep find all the uses in the debugging back
ends for debugging information.  I've verified that the patches under
consideration get all the places I had modified.  Doing it iff some
form of -g is given is the right answer.  Additionally, avoid doing it
when -P is given.  I don't think that is in the current version, but,
that can be done later.