[distcc] Re: PATH problem 2

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 11 07:24:19 GMT 2003

I was imagining doing a pre-scan of the PATH, outputting the warnings to
stderr before we detach so the user sees them right away (but only in
non-inetd mode -- we'd have to use the log if inetd called us), and then
just using the PATH and let the chips fall where they may.

Re: your suggested execvp()-replacing algorithm -- a few issues come to
mind:

 - Some people want to have distccd call ccache, so that needs to be
   possible (somehow).

 - Where would the warnings get output if they occurred at compiler-
   exec time?  In the log I suppose?

 - If someone had a PATH with colorgcc;ccache;distcc;bin on it, your
   algorithm would not output any warnings and would hand off the
   compilation to colorgcc.  In my suggested algorithm, it would warn
   about the ccache and distcc dirs and also hand off the compilation
   to colorgcc.

Perhaps a combination of the two ideas would be in order?  I.e.:

 1. Pre-scan the PATH, output warnings if we find a ccache or distcc
    masquerade link for cc (if using PATH, not DISTCCD_PATH).

 2. At compiler exec time (if DISTCCD_PATH was not used), do our own PATH
    scan and skip symlinks to ccache and/or distcc.

..wayne..