[distcc] adding command-line parsing

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 10 21:27:25 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 09:47:27AM +0200, Markus Werle wrote:
> No, because of the proxy script I proposed which preserves backward
> compatibility.

That does NOT preserve compatibility -- that is a kludge work-around that
people would have to adopt, not a preservation of existing calling
methods.

Since you keep suggesting proxy scripts, why don't you write one that
parses command-line options and sets environment variables and runs
distcc?  Seems like the perfect solution.

> Probably "--compiler" still is a good idea, because the day may come
> when Martin's dream comes true and someone uses this tool
> for something else than compilation:

Seems to me that the opposite is true -- if the thing to run may or may
not be a compiler, specifying it as a program name after the options
makes for better future extendibility.

> I prefer if [option] order does not matter.

Which would make it nearly impossible to separate the distcc args from
the CC args.

..wayne..