[distcc] Re: Announcing distccKNOPPIX

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Tue Jul 8 05:33:37 GMT 2003

On Jul  8, 2003, Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> wrote:

> On  8 Jul 2003, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br> wrote:
>> ~/.distcc/hosts doesn't quite cut it for me.  Because of the way I use
>> cross, native or cross-native (*) toolchains, the same set of hosts
>> may or may not work, depending on what CC I'm using, for example, the
>> system's GCC, that varies depending on the exact version of Red Hat
>> Linux, sometimes betas or even rawhide I'm running on each of my
>> hosts; or GNU Pro natives or crosses that work identically on all of
>> them.  It would be nice if I could express this kind of dependency on
>> in DISTCC_HOSTS or ~/.distcc/hosts somehow.

> What about being able to set

>   DISTCC_HOSTS=~/.distcc/ia64-hosts

Doesn't help when I'm bootstrapping GCC.  For the stage1 compiler
build, I want to use only compilers that are compatible the one in the
client machine.  For libgcc in stage1, and for the remaining stages, I
want to use any machines that can run the just-created compiler.  An
invariant DISTCC_HOSTS, as opposed to one that takes the compiler
pathname into account, doesn't help as much as it could here.

> It ought to be straightforward to add support to the host syntax for
> including files containing lists.

If such files could contain patterns telling what the compiler should
look like, or not look like, before the hosts in it are added, I'm
game :-)

>> ~/.distcc/env?

> What about ~/.ssh/environment?

It's not a real shell script.  You can't check `hostname` to decide
how to set the PATH, for example, which renders it pretty much useless
for home directories shared among machines with different
architectures, OSs or any other form of incompatibility.