[distcc] Announcing distccKNOPPIX

James Michael Greenhalgh jgreenhalgh at opendoorsoftware.com
Mon Jul 7 14:04:43 GMT 2003

Hi list,

I wanted to drop the word that with the help of Frerich Raabe, and using Damn
Small Linux as a base, I have created a Knoppix live cd that runs the distccd
daemon.  The size of the iso right now is about 40MB, but I am looking to
trim it down as the releases get updated.  Essentially, it's very simple how
it works, pop the CD into an unused machine, reboot and then discover the new
ip somehow (use ifconfig on the new machine, or ettercap on another) and add
it to your DISTCC_HOSTS.  I'm also looking to streamline this process a
little more (telling the master that a machine is available) but I figure
that might be more of a job for the distcc authors.  More information is
available at:
http://opendoorsoftware.com/cgi/http.pl?p=distccKNOPPIX

Cheers,
James

P.S. M. Pool, I noticed there was a link now at
http://distcc.samba.org/links.html, however this project really has nothing
to do with Gentoo (where it's categorized), Knoppix is based off of Debian.

--
James Michael Greenhalgh
jgreenhalgh at opendoorsoftware.com
https://opendoorsoftware.com
open minds providing open source solutions