[distcc] support for 0-byte output files

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Jul 7 08:37:13 GMT 2003

On 20 Jun 2003, Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > P.S. One other little thing: I noticed that distcc
> > > still doesn't like 0 length .s files. Any chance that
> > > might change soon?
> >
> > Are you talking about 0 length output files from
> > something like
> >
> >   distcc gcc -s hello.c
>
> Right. These are a pain on MacOS X, since gcc on this
> platform does not emit comments into the assembly.
> You'd be amazed how many programs have source files
> that expand to nothing after preprocessing!

OK, I think this is fixed in CVS in a way that is backwards
compatible.  The client now decides whether or not to create an output
file by the remote compiler status, rather than the length field.
That allows us to distinguish status==0, length==0 as successful
production of an empty file, which is the case you're seeing.

I have tested this with a dummy situation.  Please let me know if you
get a chance to test it on your code.