[distcc] Distcc problems

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Jul 7 02:14:32 GMT 2003

On  7 May 2003, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had some troubles compiling some software with distcc and I can't
> seem to find when and why this happens.
>
> Since I have it when compiling on a cluster of 2 RH9 distcc nodes and I
> have it when compiling on a heterogene cluster of a RH73 and a RH9 node.
> (And in this case it works for 2xRH9 and a mixed RH80+RH9) It must be a
> problem with distcc in some specific cases.
>
> First an explanation of my setup. I have 2 hosts (lisse and lune). Both
> are RH9.
>
> 	lisse has 4 chrooted build environments (RH62, RH73, RH80 and
> 	RH9) from which I initiate the builds. lisse has all the
> 	development packages installed, needed for successful compilation.
>
> 	lune is just a desktop (a thinkpad actually) that has the RH
> 	compiler suite installed and runs a distccd permanently. lune
> 	doesn't have any development packages installed.

It looks like the problem is incompatibilities between the different
versions of gcc included in those distributions.  For example, I think
the details of pthread implementation vary, and this is why you're
seeing errors related to pthread compilation.

Mixing versions of gcc is not supported, even though it sometimes
works.

I think you need to install the appropriate compilers onto lune.