[distcc] Monitor programs do not work with Portage/Gentoo Linux

Lisa M. lisa at thedoh.com
Tue Jun 24 04:55:29 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 00:10, Martin Pool wrote:

> > However, if people want to support long-running monitoring of a chain of
> > ebuilds would require putting the state dir somewhere outside the home
> > directory.  Perhaps we could allow the default location to be overridden
> > with a DISTCC_STATEDIR environment variable.  Or, go back to putting it
> > in the temp dir, and implement the DISTCC_TMPDIR suggestion in a way
> > that overrides the TMPDIR setting instead of supplanting it.
>
> But wouldn't ebuild want to override that for similar reasons to
> setting TMPDIR?  I'd like to find out more about why it wants to
> reassign it...
>
> Perhaps it should really go in /var/state/distcc/something?
>
> It might be nice to make all state visible across all users but there
> might be some security problems.  Hm.

Portage's homedir is /var/tmp/portage.  There should be no problem with
treating this as though it were /home/lisa.  Append .distcc/state (chown
portage:portage, chmod 700) and it should be relativly secure enough.

Even if /var/tmp/portage (homedir) is 755 - which is the default - no
unpriveleged user can create a symlink nor a .distcc directory.

Gentoo users who compile as root (ie, they don't use 'userpriv' and/or
they haven't added portage user and group) their directory will default
to /root/.distcc.

p.s., Checking out CVS after this post.

--
Regards,