[distcc] gcc bootstraps with distcc

Dara Hazeghi dhazeghi at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 06:08:23 GMT 2003

--- mbp at sourcefrog.net wrote:
> I haven't tried it.  My impression was that you
> could make it work by
> excluding localhost from the list, though you might
> also need to put
> the build directory on a shared filesystem so that
> the later compilers
> can be found.  I think Alexandre might know.
>
> > P.S. One other little thing: I noticed that distcc
> > still doesn't like 0 length .s files. Any chance
> that
> > might change soon?
>
> Are you talking about 0 length output files from
> something like
>
>   distcc gcc -s hello.c

Right. These are a pain on MacOS X, since gcc on this
platform does not emit comments into the assembly.
You'd be amazed how many programs have source files
that expand to nothing after preprocessing!

> I'd like to fix it.  It is a little tricky because
> unfortunately at
> the moment length 0 is used to mean "does not
> exist".  It might be
> better to have 0 mean "length 0" and -1 (say) mean
> "does not exist".
> Changing this in a way that does not break old
> clients or old servers
> is slightly tricky, but it can probably be done.

Well, this would certainly be ideal for me. Though I
suspect I'm probably one of the few people who's
actually run into this regularly. The alternative is
simply hacking gcc to output comments in its asm, but
I think changing distcc would be cleaner, since there
may be other compilers out there which have the same
behavior. Thanks,

Dara

P.S. Another random question. I've been doing builds
over a 10mbit network, and I've noticed that with more
than 4 hosts, I really don't see much benefit. Is
there a "smart" way to gather statistics on distcc?
I'm guessing it may be the network, but I'd like to
check before I go off and buy a new hub...