[distcc] gentoo installfest distcc farm

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Jun 19 10:34:56 GMT 2003

On 19 Jun 2003, Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz> wrote:

> how critical is this if, say, we have gcc 3.2.2 mixed with 3.2.1?

I should say that distcc doesn't care about versions at all.  It is
just a matter of which versions of gcc produce output that is mutually
compatible.

In general I think there should be no changes other than bug fixes
between 3.2.2 and 3.2.1, so they should work together fine.

> What happens if this changes in the middle of a compile? does it pick up
> the new entries on every invocation of gcc (during a gentoo emerge
> specifically), or what?

Unless emerge does something very strange, it will be seen by all
compiler invocations launched from that point on.

Somebody is working on a nice runtime interface for doing this but
they don't want to announce their work yet.