[distcc] Monitor programs do not work with Portage/Gentoo Linux

Lisa M. lisa at thedoh.com
Tue Jun 17 23:59:10 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 19:27, Martin Pool wrote:
> Thankyou for sending the report.
>
> It might first be worth asking: *why* does Portage set TMPDIR, and what
> are the consequences of routing around it?

I didn't design Portage, so here is what the comments around the
reassignment are:

"""Some users have $TMP/$TMPDIR to a custom dir in their home .. this
will cause sandbox errors with some ./configure."""

> > I'm unaware of any other instances where TMPDIR could be untrusted.  In
> > those cases where TMPDIR *is* unreliable, then I believe this patch will
> > offer the user a viable alternative through an envvar that is not likely
> > to be changed.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'untrusted'.

"Untrusted" as in cases such as the system (Portage) will reassign it.

> Maybe the state files should be stored in ~/.distcc or /var/run/distcc
> instead?

That's what I was thinking -- somewhere that doesn't depend on a
variable that may change unexpectedly.

--
Regards,
-Lisa