[distcc] gentoo installfest distcc farm

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Tue Jun 17 22:07:03 GMT 2003

Our local LUG is having a small gentoo installfest and intending to use
distcc[d] to speed things up. At this stage it seems we will have in the
order of 10 machines being installed and up to 20 in the distccd farm.

One thing I foresee is people coming and going during the day, so the
pool of distccd servers and the pool of installees will not be static.

I have few questions, and welcome any suggestions.

1. should we specifically allocate distccd servers to each client (ie 2
per installing client), or can we give each client the list of 20 server
machines in the hope the load will balance itself out? Having to
allocate servers on an individual basis would be a nightmare as people
come and go.

2. alternatively, is there any sort of distccd "master" program? I
envisage giving each client the address of the master box which hands the
compilation jobs out to the farm. The advantage would be that the master
could maintain a single list of servers., which we could change as
servers  came and went.
--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>