[distcc] Monitor programs do not work with Portage/Gentoo Linux

Lisa M. lisa at thedoh.com
Tue Jun 17 21:10:38 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 16:19, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2003, "Lisa M." <lisa at thedoh.com> wrote:
>
> > The solution to this is to use a different envvar (in the patch I
> > submitted[1] to Gentoo in an ebuild revision) I use $DISTCC_TMPDIR.
>
> However, this patch also breaks distcc's behavior for those who
> actually have a legitimate reason to set TMPDIR.

This patch is aimed soley at Gentoo users since their TMPDIR settings
are unreliable (and even if left blank, distcc will not default to /tmp
because during compilation Portage assigns a value to TMPDIR).

I'm unaware of any other instances where TMPDIR could be untrusted.  In
those cases where TMPDIR *is* unreliable, then I believe this patch will
offer the user a viable alternative through an envvar that is not likely
to be changed.

--
Regards,
-Lisa