[distcc] --enable-gnome

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Jun 16 12:07:27 GMT 2003

On 16 Jun 2003, Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <papadopo at shfj.DECOY.cea.NOSPAM.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for providing a graphical monitor. Just a detail, maybe it would
> be much more useful if it used GTK+ instead of Gnome. Also I'm not sure
> what it's supposed to show.

OK.  It doesn't use many GNOME functions, and could be nearly equally
well done in just GTK+.

I think the tree/list widget it uses is not in GTK+1.x, so I don't
know if it would be worthwhile to try to support that at the moment.

I'll try to do that later in the week.

> * On Red Hat 7.3 Gnome 2 is not available, only Gnome 1.
>
>   I wasn't able to build or test the graphical monitor.
>   Also I can't get the text monitor to display anything
>   else than my own compilations on my own machine, and
>   then I see mainly "Starved" messages. I'm not sure how
>   it's supposed to be used, I'll look into it again.

Yes, it will only show clients run by you on your own machine.

I wouldn't mind doing more, but showing other users or machines jobs
seems to get into a lot of security policy questions that I didn't
want to deal with in the first release.

You should see a range of client states while they're running.  On my
machine it is mostly "Compiling", then "Sending" or "Preprocessor".
I'm not sure what is happening there.

I will do some documentation in a bit.

"Starved" means that the client could not get a lock on any machine
and so has to wait to run.  You shouldn't see this unless the -j level
is much higher than the number of available machine slots, or during a
link phase when everything has to run locally.