[distcc] Re: Precompiled header problems with distcc

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Jun 2 03:08:49 GMT 2003

On 28 May 2003, Stephane Thiell <mbuna at whamb.com> wrote:

> Yes, it works with -no-cpp-precomp without any warning. As the macro
> seems OK, i would advice you to add this flag to CPPFLAGS for now.
> Current default OS X's gcc is 3.1 but they should update it in June.

OK.

> Sorry, I talked about those warnings when linking:
>
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _snprintf
> src/snprintf.o definition of _snprintf in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(snprintf.So) definition of _snprintf
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _vsnprintf
> src/snprintf.o definition of _vsnprintf in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(vsnprintf.So) definition of _vsnprintf

Oh, OK.  distcc is probably using its own snprintf because the Darwin
one does not comply with the C99 specification.  The warnings are
harmless.

> >Probably the easiest and simplest way is to just store the precompiled
> >headers on a shared filesystem.
>
> Thanks for the idea! It's almost working but unfortunately the gcc on
> the second box is build 1175 and I only have 1173 (!@#) so I got the
> message:
> cc1plus: Incompatible compiler version in pre-compiled header:
> I'll try to fix this and I'm sure it will work :)

I thought that might be the case.  Sharing pch files using the Apple
implementation would make the versioning dependencies much tighter
than they currently are.

> I heard than future gccs will have such a mecanism and Apple's gcc
> will surely follow the main branch. For now, I'll sync my gcc
> versions and try the shared filesystem method.

OK.  When gcc gets it I hope they'll do it in a cleaner way; in any
case distcc should support it if possible.

Thanks,