[distcc] A way to validate the distcc setup?

Oscar Fudd ofudd at speed-test.net
Mon May 26 07:14:38 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 17:55, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 24 May 2003, Oscar Fudd <ofudd at speed-test.net> wrote:

> One problem is that due to gcc quasi-bugs a remote compile may be
> slightly different (mostly in debug symbols) from a local compile,
> even if they're functionally identical.

Do you know if the linux kernel will work right if you use a mix of
compilers to make it?

> Is this an actual problem for you, or just an idea?  If you have flaky
> memory then you have bigger problems.  For most people once they get
> the right version of the compiler installed then things don't
> magically break.

Just an idea.  I was trying to speed up my kernel compile, and failed
miserably, although distcc doesn't seem to be the cause.

> Don't fool yourself that you could catch malicious servers.

Why not?  Doesn't the Seti system catch malicious servers?

--
Oscar Fudd <ofudd at speed-test.net>