[distcc] Re: Problems compiling some software with distcc

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon May 26 06:38:41 GMT 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Martin Pool wrote:

> On 26 May 2003, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > I've not seen any replies on my bugreports I've send for several
> > software packages. And I don't know how to debug this.
>
> Sorry, your 300k mail was a bit intimidating. :-) (I do appreciate
> thorough reports, but it looked like it would take a while.)

Well, it seemed that some of the things I reported was due to different
distcc-versions I used. One of the reasons why I didn't go into much
detail back then. That and the fact that I haven't got a clue on how to
debug distcc properly.

It would be nice if the logfile could contain timestamps (if not logging
to syslog). My RPM packages by default log to a seperate file.

I also seem to loose a lot of useful information which I think is because
of ccache. Makes it harder to track problems on various machines.

> I've just tried building Twin on Debian Sid across distcc 2.5cvs and
> gcc 3.2, and Twin seems to work with -j1.
>
> The problems seem to be due to missing dependencies in the Makefiles.
> In other words, bugs in Twin.  These are not evident in a local or -j1
> build, because there are enough dependencies to make the build happen
> in the order the author requires.  However, with high -j values with
> distcc or indeed a big SMP box the build will fail.
>
> You need to either fix the makefile and send patches to the author, or
> not use -j when building these packages.

Ah damnit, you're right. Although everything is the same with or without
distcc, I do provide different -j numbers. It never occured to me that
that could be the source of my problems. Which explains why the outcome
varies from build to build. (Depending on the number of machines and how
long it takes)

Ok, let's see if I'm able to fix those myself for each of these projects
that fail.

Thanks Martin,