[distcc] patch for documentation

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue May 13 22:26:28 GMT 2003

On 13 May 2003, Dimitri PAPADOPOULOS-ORFANOS <papadopo at shfj.DECOY.cea.NOSPAM.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is "distcc --help" printing "persona" instead of "person" on purpose?
> If not please find a patch attached. Yes, I know... I'm nitpicking
> :)

That's OK, we don't want distcc to have any nits (fleas). :-)

"persona" is the term the GNU C Library manual uses for this, which is
why I used it:

    At any time, each process has an "effective user ID", a "effective
    group ID", and a set of "supplementary group IDs".  These IDs determine
    the privileges of the process.  They are collectively called the
    "persona" of the process, because they determine "who it is" for
    purposes of access control.

It is a slightly unusual word.  I think 'person' has the sense of
being an actual real human, which is not what we want.  Perhaps
'account' would be good.  Just 'user' would be a tautology.