[distcc] Re: Distcc & GDB (fix)

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Sun May 11 21:49:04 GMT 2003

On May 11, 2003, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:

> I'd prefer the second, because it would be hard for distcc to know
> when it ought to pass that flag

My thought as well.

> If you could get the "right" pwd into the debug info by passing
> -frich-preprocessor (or something), then I think that would be ideal.

But then...  I'm thinking we might be able to avoid the
ccache-interference that the pwd added to the preprocessed file would
add, and instead add a flag to GCC that would tell it to assume that
the pwd is actually this.  Then, we add a flag to distcc that
instructs it to add this additional flag to the GCC command line, and
everything ``just works'' (well, except that object files would have
incorrect pwd information if ccache happens to reuse them from a
compilation in a different directory, but is this so much of a
problem?)

> It is not too much of a burden for the distcc manual to ask people to
> set that flag.  Perhaps it could become the default in say gcc 4.x.

I kind of doubt it :-(  But who knows :-)

>> and the other that enriches the preprocessed output such that GCC
>> knows the correct location of all tokens in the input stream, like
>> it does with the integrated preprocessor.

> Sorry, can you explain this a bit more?

See the discussion about macros in
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-08/msg01411.html (this URL
contains the patch I re-posted yesterday as well).

I've got two incomplete patches that attempt to address this
difference, from about the same timeframe, but Niel was even more
unwilling to admit that this is a bug than in the case of getting
a different pwds into the compiler's output (which Zack agreed was a
bug, as you can see in the following thread in the GCC mainling list:
<URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-08/threads.html#00960>)