[distcc] distcc protocol documentation

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 4 09:20:47 GMT 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003 18:05 pm, Martin Pool wrote:
> I've checked in a brief description of how the distcc protocol works,
> in case anyone is interested.  You can see it in CVS or here
> <http://ftp.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/distcc/doc/protocol-1.txt> (linked
> from the Documentation page).
Thanks. A couple of comments.

<quote>
STAT <status>

    Gives the Unix wait status of the compiler.  0 for success.
</quote>
It might be worth expanding on this (to explain the stopcode/exitcode, or to
refer to <sys/wait.h>. Wait status wasn't a concept I was familiar with prior
to distcc.

<quote>
SOUT <len> <bytes>

    Contains messages sent to stdout by the compiler.  Normally empty
    -- errors and warnings for most compilers go to stdout instead.
</quote>
The second reference to stdout should probably be to stderr.

Brad