[distcc] feature request: command-line switch to avoid using localhost

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Wed Apr 9 10:29:14 GMT 2003

On Apr  6, 2003, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:

> To work with the gcc makefiles does it need to be a command line
> option rather than an environment variable?

An environment variable that doesn't introduce shell quoting issues
would be fine.

> Is it much slower to just run everything through 127.0.0.1, rather
> than introducing a special behaviour?

Hmm...  Most certainly not, since stage1 uses ccache, so there's no
integrated preprocessor either.  That's actually an interesting point
I hadn't realized.  I guess I'll just take localhost out of my
DISTCC_HOSTS.

> What I meant was that it would invoke the preprocessor and compiler
> separately for builds on localhost, so the commands executed ought to
> be the same as is used remotely.

Except that the current directory of the compilation, encoded in the
debugging information, would still be different :-(  To get GCC to
bootstrap using distcc, we really really need to use the same set up
for all compiles, and this means running distccd on all machines from
the same directory, and never doing localhost builds.