[distcc] Re: Detecting Distcc

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Apr 9 01:33:44 GMT 2003

----- Forwarded message from Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> -----

From: Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org>
Subject: Re: Detecting Distcc
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:41:05 +1000
To: Omkhar Arasaratnam <omkhar at ca.ibm.com>

On  8 Apr 2003, Omkhar Arasaratnam <omkhar at ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>    We are setting up an internal pool of distcc servers. I am attempting to
>    write a program to detect presence of distcc on a server (in order to keep
>    people from "cheating"), but I am struggling to understand the protocol
>    itself. Is there a string I can send the daemon and expect properly
>    formatted return data?

There may be a "ping" option in a future release.  For now, depending
how stringently you want to test:

1. Just see if port 3632 is open, using e.g. nmap or socket.

2. You could try compiling "hello world" on each machine.

It is not really possible to catch "cheating" as somebody who cared
enough could misbehave in many ways.  Just checking the port is open
should be enough to catch daemons that are accidentally down.

I'll write up some more protocol documentation fairly soon.

Regards,