[distcc] distcc with cc1

Dara Hazeghi dhazeghi at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 01:38:58 GMT 2003

--- Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2003, Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't quite undestand what you mean by "regular
> > cross-compile". There is no MacOS X assembler that
> can
> > run on Linux, so that's not really possible.
>
> What's special about the Mac OS assembler as
> distinct from the regular
> PPC assembler?

MacOS X uses a funny binary format called Mach-O. BFD
(and therefore GNU binutils) currently don't support
it. The only assembler that does is Apple's which
while open source (it's actually based on GAS 1.38)
won't build anywhere but MacOS X. I hope that clears
things up a bit.

> Sorry, I meant to say I'm *not* sure if this is very
> generally
> useful.  Since you're the second person with no
> cross assembler
> perhaps it is.

Fair enough. There are a couple of systems for which
this might be handy, but I admit it's a niche
market...

Dara