[distcc] Re: Using cc1/cc1plus directly from distccd?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Mar 3 17:22:26 GMT 2003

Martin Pool wrote:

>>Even with compatible assemblers, splitting out the assembly phase
>>provides yet another opportunity for parallelization.
>>

>Last time I measured, assembly was very cheap compared to compilation,
>so it would likely not be worthwhile in most cases.

As posted in another message, my benchmarking shows that while CPU for
assembly is very cheap, the overlap provided by -pipe when cc1 runs
remote and as runs local provides a 2x speedup over the way distcc works
now.

I found that -B works very well to make gcc use stub versions of
compiler passes.  It is not necessary to symlink other gcc tools.  If
stubs are installed as /usr/lib/distcc/cc1 and /usr/lib/distcc/cc1plus,
then gcc -B/usr/lib/distcc is sufficient to use the stubs.  Of course,
this only works with gcc, and distcc also supports other compilers.

So, now my goals are:

a) extend distcc protocol to support simultaneous pipelines
input/output.  My benchmarking shows that this will provide a 2x speedup
when combined with -pipe and local assembly.

b) create a cc1 stub that uses the distcc protocol.  How will it know
the path to cc1 to run on the volunteer?  Currently, it is hardwired,
but perhaps a config file should be used.

c) modify distcc client to pass -B to gcc to use cc1{plus} stub.  May
require switch to enable since this is gcc specific.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>