[distcc] Finding peers: zeroconf/rendezvous?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Feb 26 02:25:51 GMT 2003

On 25 Feb 2003, Bret Mogilefsky <mogul at gelatinous.com> wrote:

> However, I think it's still a pain in the butt to manage making all
> willing clients aware of each other, particularly in a large
> organization.

How many machines do you have?  Is this a real problem or a
hypothetical one?

> Has anyone looked at/thought about this already?  I think this would be a
> valuable addition to distcc...

It ought to be possible to prototype it using rendezvous utilities to
advertise services and then build DISTCC_HOSTS.  I'd be interested to
hear if that works well.  Presumably there are command-line clients to
do this; if not there should be.

I'm a bit skeptical about random machines volunteering because

 - they might not be secure

 - they might have the wrong compiler version

But aside from that Rendezvous sounds like a good way to go.