[distcc] distcc -h/-v

Dimitri PAPADOPOULOS-ORFANOS papadopo at shfj.DECOY.cea.NOSPAM.fr
Tue Feb 25 13:55:28 GMT 2003

Hi,

>>Running 'distcc -v' or 'distcc -h' (or whataver other unknown option)
>>returns an error message:
>>
>>distcc[10736] (dcc_recursion_safeguard) CRITICAL! distcc seems to have
>>invoked itself recursively!
>>
>>* I would expect distcc to exit with a nice error message about unknown
>>  parameters, possibly displaying some short help. But maybe I'm missing
>>  something and there's no way not to exit with an error.
>

> Nice test!  Thanks.
>
> Presumably you have distcc installed on your path as 'cc'?

Not if you you mean such a symlink:
	cc -> distcc
I used to use the shell script I had already sent to this list.

However I do use ccache+distcc. My setup is:
	/usr/local/bin/gcc -> ccache
	/usr/local/bin/g++ -> ccache
	/usr/local/bin/cc  -> ccache
	/usr/local/bin/c++ -> ccache
and ccache in turn calls 'distcc cc' because I have set environment
variable CCACHE_PREFIX to distcc. That's the standard ccache+distcc
installation recommended on the ccache Web site:
	http://ccache.samba.org/ccache/ccache-man.html

>>* I would expect distcc to understand -h and -v as equivalent of --help
>>  and --version.
>

> I'm not so sure about this.  It's possible that somebody might
> actually want to pass the -v (verbose) option to gcc:
>
>   distcc -v ./hello.c

I see. But someone might as well run:
	distcc --version ./hello.c

Maybe a simple
	distcc --version
should output the version of distcc as it does right now, while
	distcc --version ./hello.c
should outptut the version of the compiler.

Or even better, discard automatic expansion of 'distcc' to 'distcc cc'
and enable the link trick also used by ccache instead:
	/usr/local/bin/gcc -> distcc
	/usr/local/bin/g++ -> distcc
	/usr/local/bin/cc  -> distcc
	/usr/local/bin/c++ -> distcc