[distcc] NOT compiling on the localhost?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Jan 30 08:01:52 GMT 2003

On 30 Jan 2003, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2003, Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> wrote:
>
> >  - It tries to connect to a remote machine but fails, and therefore
> >    falls back to local.  --> Fix the problem.
>
> Could we perhaps change it to only do so after exhausting all
> possibilities listed in DISTCC_HOSTS?  Not all of the machines in my
> cluster are listed all the time, and it sucks to have to tweak
> DISTCC_HOSTS every time one of them is powered on or off or risk
> overloading localhost.

The problem is that it might waste a lot of time trying to connect to
various unusable hosts.

I think a better solution might be to have some kind of backoff
mechanism for machines that are not reachable.

Merely trying all hosts would not be enough anyhow: if your network is
down then everything will eventually fall back to local execution.  If
I reenable load limiting then that ought to fix it, by capping the
number of jobs on localhost.