[distcc] NOT compiling on the localhost?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Jan 30 05:32:54 GMT 2003

On 29 Jan 2003, Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> wrote:
> I have a grossly under-powered box where I must do development. Is there a way
> to force distcc to NOT compile on the localhost?
>
> I know the linking will have to be done on the local box, but I would like all
> compilation to reach out to the compile-cluster.

If you don't list localhost in the list it will only compile locally
when

 - It can't work out the compiler command line, and therefore assumes
   it's only safe to run locally. --> Report the command line and I'll
   fix it.

 - The command line really can only be done locally because of some
   option you specified.

 - It tries to connect to a remote machine but fails, and therefore
   falls back to local.  --> Fix the problem.

 - The preprocessor fails.  (Perhaps it shouldn't fall back in this
   case; it's a tough tradeoff.)

 - Some other distcc bug I can't think of at the moment.