[distcc] Distcc & Portage

Kevin N. Carpenter kevinc at seaplace.org
Sat Jan 25 05:13:00 GMT 2003

Hi all, please forgive is this is frequently asked, but I didn't spot
anything in the archives.

Anyhow, I'm trying to use Distcc with Gentoo 1.4rc3 (GCC 3.2.1) and
having mixed results.  It does wonderful things with trivial tweaks to
the /usr/src/linux/Makefile.  I'm seeing kernel compiles in less than
half the time now.

I'd love to be able to use this with Portage emerge's however - where my
systems speed a lot more time.

Unfortunetly, few emerges run to completion before they die.  This
occurs when I change my /etc/make.conf to use MAKEOPTS="-j10 CC=distcc",
or play games like putting a wrapper script in /bin called gcc... (which
I believe would be a nice general way to have all compiles use distcc).

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Kevin N. Carpenter