[distcc] Cross-platform corruption problems?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Jan 13 07:00:00 GMT 2003

On 12 Jan 2003, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> I am trying to use distcc 0.15 with a cross-compiler to compile code
> for a different architecture (FreeBSD/sparc64 cross-compiler on
> FreeBSD/i386 distccd host).  The gcc 3.2.1 cross-compiler suite is set
> up and works locally, but I am seeing problems when distcc submits the
> .i file to the server: it appears to be received badly corrupted.
>
> Using DISTCC_SAVE_TEMPS and comparing with an .i file generated
> locally by gcc, the two .i files are the same length, but the one
> saved on the server is mostly full of binary garbage.  I've attached
> the two (compressed) files for comparison.

Thanks for the report.  I don't know the answer right away, but I have
some things I'd like you to try.

First of all, turn on verbose logging on the client and server and
post the results.

Perhaps try disabling HAVE_SENDFILE in config.h, then make clean and
recompile.  That sounds like something that might cause this pattern
of the file having the right size and wrong contents.

If you can, please get a tcpdump capture of the transaction and post
that.  It should be enough to do

  # tcpdump -i eth0 -s 8000 -w distcc.cap 'tcp port 3632'

(You might need a different interface name.)

Then post the results -- this ought to show whether it's getting to
the network correctly or not.  Ideally run this on the server, but on
the client will do.  Make sure you say which you did.

Regards

The rumours are true, but I raise only top-quality rabble.
	-- Rick Moen