[distcc] Re: Red Hat packaging patch for 0.15

Chris Halls halls at debian.org
Thu Dec 19 12:17:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:57:13AM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> > running compiler process, and even that is unlikely to happen in most real
> > world situations.
>
> distcc will leave temporary files around if it's interrupted, and lock
> files indefinitely, in the hope that they'll be removed by the
> tmpreaper.

Yes, fair enough.  By 'most real world situations' I meant in 99% of cases,
distcc will not be in use at the time someone purges it.  They are generally
doing that because they are not using it :)  Someone who, for example,
wanted to temporarily remove distcc because of a disk space / resource /
security problem / whatever, is likely to remove the package and leave the
configuartion files around for next time they reinstall.

> >         rm -rf /var/log/distccd.log
>
> Wouldn't this leave rotated logs behind?

Yes - I had exactly this problem in apt-proxy's postrm too until someone
filed a bug :)

> >         if id distccd >/dev/null; then
> >             # Careful!  Never destroy home dir (/), and deluser can be
> >             # configured to always do that (there's no
> >             # --no-remove-home flag)
> >             userdel distccd
> >         fi
> >         ;;
>
> Possibly it ought to rm the distcc user's distcc temporary directory
> as well.

Yes; I haven't looked at that.

> Rusty originally packaged distcc, but he has a lot on his plate at the
> moment, what with breaking the 2.5's module system and so on.  Perhaps
> some other Debian developer would like to offer to take over?  I'd
> like releases to get into unstable more often.

Rusty is likely to wonder if I have something against him if I step up - I
already took over apt-proxy ;)

Seriously, I have a lot of work with the openoffice.org packages, but as a
regular user of distcc and reader of this mailing list I could keep an eye
on these packages if there really is no-one else who wants to.  A
co-maintainer solution would be fine too, e.g. Rusty adds me to Uploaders
and I help out when I have time.

Chris

[P.S. I'll be away over Christmas so I won't respond for a couple of weeks]