[distcc] LZO compression

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Dec 17 22:55:01 GMT 2002

On 17 Dec 2002, Jean-Eric Cuendet <jean-eric.cuendet at linkvest.com> wrote:

> PS: BTW, I think that you should change mailman settings so Reply reply
> to the list, not to the sender only.

There's a long debate about that.

I don't want to get into it here.

> That is *a lot* of work!

It is surprisingly less than you might think.  See the thread on this
list a couple of months ago where some small performance measures were
made.

> I think that checksum should always be done, while compression should be
> optional.

At the moment that's what I think too.

> When running with SSH transport, we could be able to use SSH own
> compression or not (by a DISTCC_SSH_OPTIONS for example) or distcc own
> compression (which should be faster since SSH one is gzip based)

I think it is adequate to allow people to turn on or off compression
using their .ssh/config file.