[distcc] Re: Red Hat packaging patch for 0.15

Jean-Eric Cuendet jean-eric.cuendet at linkvest.com
Tue Dec 17 13:47:00 GMT 2002

OK, I clicked Reply-All :-)

>distcc creates working files on the slaves, so I'm not sure what your
>point is here.  The other more complex daemons I mentioned create
>files as well.

I think that daemons running under nobody:
- should not create file, else they should not run under nobody
- shouldn't care if someone else see/delete/overwrite its files because
it runs also under nobody.
I think that squid/apache/distcc shouldn't run under nobody if they
write files. But if they do, then the problem is not that distcc runs
under nobody but that *squid/apache* runs under nobody.

>How about creating a "distcc" user if one does not already exist?

That was the discussion point: don't create a distcc user when running
rpm installation.
While?
- It's hard to remove
- You don't know which package created/use a certain user

So if distcc.rpm don't create a user, we have the 3 possibilities I
described.
-jec