[distcc] Re: Red Hat packaging patch for 0.15

Ben Elliston bje at redhat.com
Tue Dec 17 13:41:01 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Jean-Eric" == Jean-Eric Cuendet <jean-eric.cuendet at linkvest.com> writes:

  Jean-Eric> But running under nobody is *better* than under root, in
  Jean-Eric> all condition!

I was not disagreeing with you there :-)

  Jean-Eric> User nobody shouldn't have files.

distcc creates working files on the slaves, so I'm not sure what your
point is here.  The other more complex daemons I mentioned create
files as well.

  Jean-Eric> But a solution could be:
  Jean-Eric> - If distcc user *already* exists, use it in xinetd script
  Jean-Eric> - If distcc user is not available, use nobody
  Jean-Eric> - If nobody user is not available, use root

How about creating a "distcc" user if one does not already exist?

Ben