[distcc] LZO compression

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Dec 16 01:09:00 GMT 2002

On 16 Dec 2002, Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> wrote:

> I'd like to be able to link against the system's liblzo if it has one,
> to save (a trivial amount of) memory and disk, but mostly because it's
> just cleaner.  There ought to be a --with-included-lzo as for popt.

On second thoughts: it's so tiny that I'm not sure it's worthwhile.
The CPU and memory overhead of using a shared library possibly exceeds
the savings.

The only real argument for using a system library is that it's
possibly more likely to be kept up to date, but I'm not sure that's
terribly important.

When the gzip security problem was discovered a while ago the updates
were more complex because so many programs had included copies of
zlib.

On the other hand I suppose too many people (not using Debian :-) will
complain if they have to download lzo by hand so it has to go in to
support them.