[distcc] too many open files

Alastair Tse alastair at liquidx.net
Sun Nov 24 17:53:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I've been using distcc for the last couple of weeks and its great.
However, I've been running into some problems recently. The problem is
that after running distcc for a while, it would complain about too many
open files and stop processing, hence any compilation job running would
be stalled as well.

I'm running distccd on a box with the following parameters:

distccd --no-fork --no-detach --daemon --log-file=/tmp/distccd.log

as a normal user (not as root).

When it does fail, according to lsof, it has an incredible amount of
/tmp/distcc_xxxxx/*.err files open, but deleted. Looking at the source,
in serve.c, dcc_accept_job() seems to be responsible for opening up
*.err files for logging. However, it never closes them but instead just
deletes them at the end duing cleanup.

Is this a bug? or am I using distccd all wrong?

Thanks,

Alastair

PS. I'm not on the list, so it would be great if you could cc me in the
reply.