[distcc] Re: Cygwin

Michael Santy mike.santy at dynetics.com
Mon Nov 18 20:48:00 GMT 2002

Maniac,

You would have to do the reverse of what I just said.  You would have to
build a cross compiler from cygwin to linux. I haven't heard of anybody
doing that, but it doesn't mean that its impossible.

You will first have to download the gcc binutils.  Go to
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/binutils/binutils-2.13.tar.gz.  Unpack it,
enter the directory and execute:

./configure --prefix=(some install location) --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu
gmake; gmake install
Add the install location for binutils to your PATH.
This will build the binutils (ar, as, ld) on cygwin targetting linux.
You will then download gcc
(ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.2.tar.gz). Uncompress and enter the
gcc directory and execute:
./configure --prefix=(same location as above) --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--build=cygwin --host=cygwin
gmake; gmake install

You should now have a cross compiler from cygwin to linux (if it is
possible).

Dig around on the gcc newsgroups (gcc.gnu.org) or just install linux on
the fast machine (the preferred approach).

Thanks,
Mike