[distcc] using a powerful build host

Andi Kleen ak at muc.de
Sun Nov 17 12:34:00 GMT 2002

Hallo,

I have the following setup:

One workstation and one powerful multiprocessor box that I use only sometimes
for compiling. The multiprocessor box is able to run 8 compilers in parallel.

I normally compile on the workstation but sometimes when I'm in a hurry
and need a big tree rebuilt I want to tap the power of the multi processor
box using distcc.

What I tried:

just specify DISTCC_HOSTS=mpbox CC="distcc gcc" make -j8 ...

Unfortunately top on mpbox shows that only one or two cc1s are active
in parallel. I also tried DISTCC_HOSTS="mpbox mpbox ..." (8 times) ... -j8,
but it also doesn't seem to trigger much more parallelism. The makefiles
are set up for parallelism, when I run it locally on the mpbox it
runs much faster.

I also would like to include localhost (= workstation), but it should
only run at best two compilers in parallel.

I'm considering now to configure multiple IP aliases and run
8 distccs in parallel on the mpbox. Is there are a better way to
do what I want?

Thanks,

-Andi