[distcc] distccd in cron issue

Shane McDaniel shanem at ll.mit.edu
Tue Nov 12 13:47:37 GMT 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Martin Pool wrote:

> On  8 Nov 2002, Shane McDaniel <shanem at ll.mit.edu> wrote:
> > I have the following crontab entry on a machine
> >
> > 0 * * * * /home/shanem/bin/distccd&
> >
> > basically if the machine is ever rebooted or the process dies for some
> > reason I'd like it to come up automatically, and since distccd checks for
> > a currently running process it doesn't keep spawning new processes.
> >
> > The process gets spawned correctly whenever distccd isn't running for some
> > reason, however it seems useless.  When I try to do my make using the
> > machine as a distcc host I get broken pipe errors on the client.  However
> > if I simply go to the machine kill the current distccd and execute
> > /home/shanem/bin/distccd  just like that then my make works fine.
>
> Is there a log entry?
>
> Is that in root's crontab or yours?  distccd won't run as root.
>
> Does giving it --daemon help?

The crontab is under my regular userid, and --daemon does not help

There are no /var/adm/messages entries generated when the distccd process
starts up from cron.

However the log contains entries when it fails on a distributed job.

Nov 12 08:41:53 light distccd[4773]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice]
(dcc_r_fifo) Notice: interrupted while opening fifo
/tmp/distcc_0000446e/server_0000004773.ii; perhaps command exited without
reading it?
Nov 12 08:41:53 light distccd[4773]: [ID 702911 daemon.error]
(dcc_critique_status) ERROR: g++ on light failed with exit code 104
Nov 12 08:41:53 light distccd[4768]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice]
(dcc_reap_kids) Notice: child 4773 exited: status 0

-shane