[distcc] gcc versioning suggestion

Michael Santy mike.santy at dynetics.com
Tue Nov 12 13:42:01 GMT 2002

In reading through the newsgroups, I have seen how many people have
requested version matching with gcc.  Instead of querying the version of
gcc installed every time, you are able to pass it -V to request a
specific version of the compiler.  If that specific version does not
exist, gcc returns an error.

For example (outside of distcc), if I have gcc 3.1 installed and execute
the command:
gcc -V 2.95 -c foo.c
I get the error:
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1': No such file or directory
However, if I execute:
gcc -V 3.1 -c foo.c
All is happy.

This is a way to assume all of the distccd hosts have the correct
version of gcc, and if they do not, distcc will fall back on the
localhost.  This is an easy way to be safe if you are compiling c++,
which has the potential to produce mismatched abi object files when
using different versions of gcc.  I'm not sure if this should be handled
by the user of distcc or distcc itself.

Hope this helps,
Mike