[distcc] distccd in cron issue

Shane McDaniel shanem at ll.mit.edu
Fri Nov 8 21:17:00 GMT 2002

I have the following crontab entry on a machine

0 * * * * /home/shanem/bin/distccd&

basically if the machine is ever rebooted or the process dies for some
reason I'd like it to come up automatically, and since distccd checks for
a currently running process it doesn't keep spawning new processes.

The process gets spawned correctly whenever distccd isn't running for some
reason, however it seems useless.  When I try to do my make using the
machine as a distcc host I get broken pipe errors on the client.  However
if I simply go to the machine kill the current distccd and execute
/home/shanem/bin/distccd  just like that then my make works fine.

This is all on Sparc Sol 8.

Any ideas out there about this?

-shane