[distcc] solaris execvp/e2big problem

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Oct 25 08:20:00 GMT 2002

On 25 Oct 2002, Corrado Giacomini <Corrado.Giacomini at trema.com> wrote:

> I arranged to figure out how big is the argument list I am passing
> to the execvp system call and I have found that is 4834 bytes in
> size.

Wow, that's a very low limit.

> My question are:
>
> How I can figure out which of the above limits are effectively set on my
> system ?

I don't know.  Ask Sun?

> would be feasible to rewrite the function mentioned above in order
> to use, just for example the system call system() ?

system() is not a system call, it's a function that ends up calling
execv().  I can't see how using system() would make things any better.

Presumably there is some Solaris-specific thing you have to do to make
it accept all the arguments.

distcc doesn't do anything special to linker invocations, it just runs
them locally.  If it works with plain cc it ought to work with
distcc.

You could try running truss on Make to see how it exec()s the linker.